Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Getting transcripts

Going back to college required I apply for admissions. That meant I had to send away for all my previous transcripts.

Getting copies of your transcripts is not as easy as calling and asking someone to forward, mail or e-mail them to a new institution. These have to be OFFICIAL transcripts.

To get the OFFICIAL version, most colleges require that you fill out a form—which must be returned to them by snail mail with the fee included--before they will process your request. Sure, you could probably speed it up with fax machines and credit cards, but I don’t have a fax and I hate credit cards.

One college actually needed my student ID number from years ago. (As if I can remember it! I can’t even remember my own cell phone number!) The fresh-out-of-high-school help didn’t even know how to look up my transcripts without my student ID number.

“Can’t you use my full name instead?”

“Nope.”

“What about my birthday?”

“No.”

And (though I hate using it), I had to ask, “will a social security number work?”

“No. We need your student ID number.”

“Well, I can’t remember my student ID number. Can you look it up and tell me what it was?”

“I don’t think so.”

For that college, I had to find someone--closer to my own age--in records who was able to look up my student ID number by using my name and my birthday! What a novel concept! Thank goodness for mature help!

In fact, in all my dealings with former colleges, I felt myself cringing whenever a youthful voice answered the phone. Let’s get someone on the line with some intelligence and common sense, please.

But the official transcripts were acquired. It cost about $30 total, and took about three weeks for them to arrive at my new university.

TIP: I started a special educational folder. It contains copies of all my transcripts and my student ID numbers. That way I can deal with those fresh-out-of-high-school receptionists!

No comments:

Post a Comment